Manchester Metropolitan University collaborated with a local company to develop technology for Europe’s largest battery project.
A Manchester firm secured a major contract for a “globally-significant” development, Europe’s largest battery project in Minety, Wiltshire, UK.
QEnergy™ partnered with Manchester Metropolitan University on ENERGY-IQ, a smart grid demonstration project awarded by BEIS – The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. Q Energy’s federated Virtual Power Plant technology was developed and trialed through research & development work with MMU’s smart infrastructure team, led by Professor Bamidele Adibissi. The collaboration included setting up a test bed for battery control and testing smart EV chargers at the Birley Fields campus, among other initiatives.
- Balancing the UK’s renewables-reliant electricity grid.
- Providing electricity for up to 10,000 homes a day.
- Achieving the UK’s net-zero targets.
- Monitoring and optimising battery performance in real-time.
- Identifying errors and abnormalities promptly.
QEnergy™, a smart energy service provider, was selected to contribute to Europe’s largest battery storage project in Minety, Wiltshire. They developed a bespoke battery performance monitoring system with a user-friendly dashboard to address the customer needs.
The QEnergy™ Dashboard offers the following features:
- Real-time Operational Data: The intuitive and visual dashboard provides real-time data on battery performance, enabling stakeholders to monitor the system’s operations.
- Integration of Clean Energy: The dashboard facilitates the integration of greater quantities of clean electricity generated by solar and wind, supporting optimal use of the lowest carbon power.
- Data Collection and Analysis: Q Energy’s system collects sub-second, real-time battery cell data, recording up to 18,000 data points every 10 seconds. Big data analytics are utilised to compare the batteries’ actual performance with expected performance, identifying any errors or abnormalities.
- Alert System: The dashboard triggers alerts for the operation and maintenance team in case of any errors or abnormalities, enabling prompt response to address issues and ensure long-term performance.
- Renewable Energy Optimisation: By enabling the integration of more clean electricity from solar and wind sources, the QEnergy™ Dashboard helps balance the UK’s renewables-reliant electricity grid, contributing to a reduction in carbon emissions.
- Meeting Energy Demand: The Minety battery storage project, supported by Q Energy’s solution, provides electricity for up to 10,000 homes a day, ensuring a reliable power supply.
- Net Zero Targets: The intuitive dashboard supports the UK’s net-zero targets by facilitating the optimal use of low-carbon power sources, furthering the transition to a sustainable energy system.
- Cost Reduction: The real-time monitoring and performance analysis capabilities of the QEnergy™ dashboard enable efficient maintenance and error detection, minimising downtime and reducing operational costs.
- Market Expansion: Q Energy’s involvement in this significant project has allowed them to develop relationships with major international energy industry players, opening doors for future collaborations and similar projects. It also positions them as experts in renewable energy technology and expertise.
If you are an organisation facing pressure to meet sustainability goals or seeking solutions to reduce energy costs during the current energy crisis, QEnergy™ encourages you to reach out and learn more about our services. QEnergy™ are ready to provide assistance and discuss how our offerings can support your sustainability objectives and help mitigate energy expenses.
GET IN TOUCH
For a free analysis and consultation to work out savings you could be making and to develop a strategy for Net Zero, please get in touch with us.
Qbots Energy ltd. t/a Q Energy
16 Williams House, Manchester Science Park, Lloyd St North, Manchester, M15 6SE
Tel: 0161 706 0980